Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Licorice Caramels & Other Halloween Goodies


Piped white chocolate makes a great decoration for cookies!


Licorice Caramels

1 c Butter
2 c Sugar
1 1/2 c Light Corn Syrup
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/4 tsp salt

Cook and stir until soft/firm ball (between 234 - 248 if using a candy thermometer. We always just set out 3-4 glases ice water and dropped a spoonful of caramel in to test)

Remove from heat and add:
1 tsp Anise oil
1 tsp Black food coloring (craft store)
(I don't like heavy licorice flavor or dark color so I start with 1/2 teaspoon of each of these and add as needed)

Pour into greased 9x13 dish and let cool. Cut into bite size pieces and wrap in wax paper. Store in refrigerator to keep longer.

2 comments:

  1. Uh Oh...I'm in trouble...I LOVE these...especially your recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh yumm. I remember when you made these for me last year. Was it really that long ago?? It almost makes me want to buy some anise to try them myself. ;-)

    Hey, I need you to call me. We are trying to plan a get together and you never get on fb. Still the same old number.

    ReplyDelete